5 safe, natural tips to help reduce headaches in pregnancy:From Dr. Romm-
1. Apply a few drops of lavender oil, peppermint oil, or Tiger Balm to the temples; these have been shown to safely and effectively reduce headaches.
2. Many headaches are a result of neck and shoulder tension, so don’t overlook the value of massage, a gentle Chiropractic adjustment, or craniosacral therapy for headache prevention and relief.
3. Magnesium can help reduce a tension headache; take 400 – 800 mg/day of magnesium glycinate, or if constipation is also a problem, magnesium citrate in the same dosage.
4. Take 2 ginger capsules once or twice daily if you feel a headache coming on; it is a natural anti-inflammatory herb that is considered safe in pregnancy
5. Take a hot bath with 2 cups of Epsom salts, and 5-7 drops of lavender essential oil – the combination of magnesium in the Epsom salts, the aromatherapy from lavender, and hot water is deeply relaxing and can help relieve a headache.
Additionally, there are several herbs that are generally considered safe for use in pregnancy, including chamomile and lavender as teas or tinctures for mild headaches, and cramp bark (use tincture, 1/2 tsp every 4 hours) and black cohosh (1/4 tsp every 4 hours, NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH BLUE COHOSH which is NOT TO BE USED in pregnancy) which I use in combination for more moderate headaches.
-Dr. Aviva Romm